Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The rest of the slate...

Today's announcement finalized this year's TIFF slate. After last week's 73-film blowout, anything would likely seem underwhelming. The most recent slate certainly didn't wow me. Added were two by Wayne Wang, a new film from Michael Moore, Demme's Jimmy Carter documentary, and the latest from De Palma, Zia, Sachs, & Lumet (each of which were already confirmed for the New York Film Festival) . Surely each of these movies has their audience, but I'm hardly dying to see any of them at TIFF.

The most pleasant surprise, from my perspective, was Wang Bing's 184-minute Fengming: A Chinese Memoir, which will certainly present some scheduling challenges, should I choose to see it.


I'm hardly complaining, though, narrowing the existing list down to the 50-odd films I'll watch will be a daunting task.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you mentioned that "narrowing the existing list down to the 50-odd films I'll watch will be a daunting task" -- I'd like to suggest a website to check out:
TOfilmfest.com ... 8-)
-- all of the films are sortable by TITLE, LANGUAGE, COUNTRY, PROGRAM and STAR-RATING -- and for each film, there are links to star-rated REVIEWS (and search engines to find more!)... DIRECTOR(S) and CAST members are also linked to their filmographies... cheers, g