Wednesday, September 06, 2006

My proposed festival schedule...

This morning's new availability of several films that I missed in the lottery means that I've filled in several of my schedule's previous gaps. Now things don't really look bad at all.

I've lost Ten Canoes, which was replaced with Telluride buzz-object (and likely Best Foreign Language Film Oscar contender) The Lives of Others. I'll be seeing one of the Wavelengths programs instead of Little Children (which releases next month anyway). I haven't been able to score tickets to Borat, D.O.A.P., The Brand Upon the Brain! or Penelope. I think I can happily live with those losses.

I am still thinking about adding the Midnight movies All the Boys Love Mandy Lane or The Abandoned to my schedule if I get the slightest hint that they're decent.


All in all, I have a pretty decent festival ahead of me, I think. Here's how it will play out:

Thursday, Sept 7
6:00 PM HANA (Hirokazu Kore-eda) Varsity 8
9:00 PM The Lives of Others (Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck) Elgin

Friday, Sept 8
9:00 AM 12:08 East of Bucharest (Corneliu Porumboiu) Paramount 2
11:15 AM Taxidermia (György Pálfi) Paramount 2
2:30 PM 2:37 (Murali K. Thalluri) Paramount 1
4:00 PM Nouvelle Chance (Anne Fontaine) Paramount 2
6:00 PM The Postmodern Life of My Aunt (Ann Hui) Ryerson
I intend to swap this for Born & Bred or Khadak
9:00 PM L'Homme de sa vie (Zabou Breitman) Paramount 1

Saturday, Sept 9
9:15 AM La Tourneuse de pages (Denis Dercourt) Paramount 4
11:45 AM The Bothersome Man (Jens Lien) Paramount 4
3:00 PM The Fall (Tarsem) Elgin
6:30 PM Wavelengths, Program 2 (Various) Al Green Theater
9:00 PM Chacun sa nuit (Jean-Marc Barr, Pascal Arnold) Paramount 1

Sunday, Sept 10
9:00 AM The Bet Collector (Jeffrey Jeturian) Cumberland 1
11:30 AM Rain Dogs (Ho Yuhang) Cumberland 1
1:45 PM 7 Ans (Jean-Pascal Hattu) Cumberland 2
3:45 PM The Host (Bong Joon-ho) Paramount 2
6:15 PM Falkenberg Farewell (Jesper Ganslandt) Cumberland 2
9:30 PM Summer '04 (Stefan Krohmer) Cumberland 2

Monday, Sept 11
10:15 AM Rescue Dawn (Werner Herzog) Paramount 2
12:15 PM Reprise (Joachim Trier) Paramount 4
3:30 PM 10 Items or Less (Brad Silberling) Elgin
6:00 PM Fay Grim (Hal Hartley) Ryerson
9:00 PM Wavelengths, Program 5 (Various) Al Green Theater

Tuesday, Sept 12
9:30 AM Away From Her (Sarah Polley) Ryerson
12:00 PM Bonneville (Christopher N. Rowley) Ryerson
2:00 PM Cashback (Sean Ellis) Paramount 4
4:30 PM Copying Beethoven (Agnieska Holland) Paramount 2
7:30 PM Hamaca Paraguaya (Paz Encina) Cumberland 1
9:00 PM The Half Life of Timofey Berezin (Scott Z. Burns) Isabel Bader Theater
11:59 PM Trapped Ashes (Various) Ryerson

Wednesday, Sept 13
9:15 AM STRIKE (Volker Schlöndorff) Varsity 2
12:00 PM I Don't Want to Sleep Alone (Tsai Ming Liang) Paramount 1
3:15 PM Bliss (Sheng Zhimin) Cumberland 1
6:00 PM Golden Door (Emanuele Crialese) Elgin
8:30 PM Nue Propriété (Joachim Lafosse) Paramount 2
11:59 PM S&MAN (JT Petty)

Thursday, Sept 14
9:15 AM Daratt / Moekgo and the Stickfighter (Mahmat-Saleh Haroun)/ (Teboho Mahlatsi) Paramount 4
12:00 PM Black Book (Paul Verhoeven) Ryerson
3:00 PM The Fountain (Darren Aronofsky) Ryerson
5:15 PM Colossal Youth (Pedro Costa) Varsity 2
8:00 PM White Palms (Szabolcs Hajdu) Cumberland 1
11:59 PM Severance (Christopher Smith) Ryerson

Friday, Sept 15
9:15 AM Day Night Day Night (Julia Loktev) Cumberland 2
12:30 PM Grbavica (Jasmila Žbanić) Cumberland 1
2:30 PM Summer Palace (Lou Ye) Cumberland 2
5:00 PM The Book of Revelation (Ana Kokkinos) Varsity 1
9:00 PM Belle toujours and Fantasmas (Manoel de Oliveira / Lisandro Alonso) Cumberland 2
11:59 PM Princess (Anders Morgenthaler) Ryerson

Saturday, Sept 16
9:30 AM Exiled (Johnnie To) Ryerson
11:45 AM Flanders (Bruno Dumont) Isabel Bader Theater
2:45 PM Invisible Waves (Pen-ek Ratanaruang) Paramount 4
6:15 PM Big Bang Love, Juvenile A (Takashi Miike) Cumberland 2
9:00 PM Lights in the Dusk (Aki Kaurismäki) Ryerson
11:59 PM Sheitan (Kim Chapiron) Ryerson

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

may i advise you to skip Grbavica?

really.

Jeremy Heilman said...

Hrrm... I don't have much choice at this point, given my schedule. I'm primarily seeing it because it won the Golden Bear at Berlin. Any particular reason why I should be avoiding it?

Anonymous said...

That's a lot of movies! Not interested in "Red Road" or "Shortbus"? They did pretty well at Cannes...

Jeremy Heilman said...

Both have U.S. distribution... Shortbus comes out in October here. I can surely wait that long.

Red Road doesn't have a release date, but Tartan has picked it up for release. It plays against White Palms and Exiled, neither which has a distributor, so I deprioritized it.

Ian said...

Looks like you're going to have a great/exhausting time. I'll have to make it over to Toronto someday.

By the way, I've posted about your TIFF blog at my blog, so my family and friends can also enjoy the festival vicariously...

(Too bad the commenter above didn't elaborate on Grbavica. It's just opened here and has so far been well received. I'll be curious to hear what you think of it.)

James McNally said...

I admire your stamina. You actually have seven movies on one day (Tuesday). Moviemartyr, indeed...

Hope you have a great festival. Mine will be more modest, but I'll read your reports to see what I've missed.