Tuesday, September 11, 2007

The Rest of the Day 5 Ratings...



Juno (Jason Reitman) 48 [A film this glib and facile deserves a quip just as glib and facile... It's Gilmore Girls, but pregnant.]


Unfinished Stories (Pourya Azarbayjani) 24 [Iran still awful for women, Iranian filmmakers apparently getting worse. Some insanely ugly DV to boot. If you ask me about this at next year's fest, I'll probably have no clue what you're talking about.]


The Savages (Tamara Jenkins) 73 [Tiny in scale, but at the same time kind of note-perfect. It's poignant and funny in all of the right places. I don't remember ever liking Laura Linney this much in anything.]


Forever Never Anywhere (A. Svobosa) 61 [The first of my "stuck in a car after a crash" double-feature, it's snappy and funny, even if it's a bit disposable. It has a dark, distinctly Austrian sense of humor that serves it well enough to make its gimmicky premise sustainable at feature length.]


Stuck (Stuart Gordon) 76 [Best of the fest, so far, this finds Gordon again in the nasty mode he's been developing in movies like Edmond and King of the Ants. I love how it refuses to sell out with any late-breaking developments of morality, and the general lack of ambition allows it to function as pretty pure entertainment. I don't think I'm alone in my love for it, for the record... The crowd went bonkers for it too.]

No comments: